How to Obtain Swimming Pool Certification in NSW
According to the 1992 Swimming Pool Act, passed by the Australian government, every swimming pool and spa must be compliant with state requirements regarding pool safety. When your pool is inspected, you will either receive a pool compliance certificate or a non-compliance notice, which is valid for 12 months. The compliance certificate is valid for 3 years and both can be transferred, should the property change hands.
Pool Compliance Certificate
If you are looking for pool certification in Kings Langley, start with a Google search and this will bring up a list of state-approved pool certification companies. Prior to making an appointment, it is essential that the following is ready.
- Pool Enclosure – You are limited to what you can put inside the pool area; pool cleaning and filtration equipment are allowed, as are permanent shading structures and fixed water slides. Everything else including BBQ and outdoor furniture must be located outside the pool enclosure. It is not permitted to hang a washing line inside the pool area, which might be used as a climbing aid.
- CPR Sign – There must be a CPR sign that is clearly visible from any location within the pool enclosure and you can buy these signs from the online supplier.
- Pool Fencing – The fencing needs to be of a minimum height recommended for the size of the pool, plus the fencing must be in good working order, with no gaps larger than 100mm. Most people prefer to have a glass pool barrier, as this allows you to see inside the pool area at all times. Glass is also easy to keep clean and it requires no maintenance, which is a blessing.
- Pool Gate – The gate must be of the outward opening type that has a self-closing mechanism that closes the gate from any position. The latch needs to be at least 1500mm from the ground and the gate hinges might require capping (to prevent a child from gaining a foothold).
- The Clear Zone – This is an area at least 1200mm around the entire pool perimeter that should be free from all obstacles, both natural and man-made. This would include garden furniture, trees and shrubs, indeed, anything that could be used as a climbing aid. A walk around the pool fencing with a tape measure is the best way to check the clear zone, as this is what the inspector will do.
Once you are ready to have your pool inspected, the certification company can be contacted and an appointment made.
Comments are closed.